Tuesday, June 28, 2011

4th of July Pillow

I came across an army star pattern at Lily's quilts and instantly fell in love.  I knew I had to make it, and in time for the 4th of July.  Luckily Missy was coming to visit for a crafting/girly fun weekend, and it was the perfect time.

Star Pillow


I LOVE it.  I'll admit, it's actually my very first throw pillow on my couch, and my only 4th of July decoration currently, but I think since it's so grand, it works overtime to compensate for my lack of other decor.  Yes, I am gushing a little, I'm not always good at being humble.  Also, if you look at the close up quilting, you can see it's far from perfect, so hey, at least I can admit that, right ;).

Star Pillow Quilting

This was a really fun project, it definitely took some time to work out, but was worth it, and if you have at least some experience paper piecing, I definitely recommend giving it a try.  If you live in Utah, you even still have time to get it done before the 24th, or just make it red and green and call it a Christmas Star.  A great big thank you to Lily for the tutorial so I can have this awesome pillow!

I started out quilting just the lines in the background, then added the stitching in the ditch around the outside of the circle and the triangles in between the star points. I felt it needed a little more so I threw in the pebbles and I'm glad I did. Not only did it give me a chance to practice 3 different styles of quilting, but I think it gave it that last little bit of oomph I was looking for.

I currently have one more 4th of July pillow hanging half done on my design wall made from the same fabrics. I should be able to finish it up this week and have both of them done in time, which, for me, is a really big deal! Maybe I'll even get another decoration up or two.


7 comments:

  1. I REALLY like it! Maybe I'll have to attempt paper piecing again and try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my i luv luv it, it will look fantastic in my bedroom :)

    Don't forget to join our linking party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/06/2011-4th-of-july-celebration-menu-from.html
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I'm totally in love with this pillow, it is gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing! I'm at Maggy's, Passionately Artistic too. Hugs, FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is a beautiful pillow! I found your cute kid craft idea through the Paisley passions linky party and just had to stop by. I am your newest follower and cant wait to check more of your blog out. Come and visit me and say hi and please follow back :)

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pillow is beautiful! You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I LOVE it!! I've never seen a star made like this before.

    New follower! http://thepurplehound.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete