Sunday, October 3, 2010

CARAMELS

As the seasons turn to fall it means it’s time for CARAMELS.  Thanks to a friend (Shannon) I found the best and easiest caramel recipe ever. Actually I make them year around but always for all the fall holidays. It has become one of our families favorite candies.IMG_7402



Caramels
2 3/4 cubes Butter (no substitutions)
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Milk can White Sugar
1 Milk can Brown Sugar (I like the dark brown)
1 Milk can Corn Syrup
1 Teas Vanilla
IMG_7380
Using the 1/4 cube of butter, butter a 9X13 pan generously. I leave the paper on it as I do it, it keeps my hands cleaner.
IMG_7381Put the first 5 ingredients in a heavy pan. Remember you are reusing the can from the sweetened condensed milk to measure sugars and corn syrup.
IMG_7382 IMG_7383 IMG_7384
Cook all ingredients until firm ball with a wooden spoon. Never scrape the sides of the pan once it begins to boil. Once I have mixed all the ingredients together I never touch the sides of the pan again even before it boils. It will cause it to go grainy.
IMG_7386
We live at 6000 feet so I just use the water method for testing candy. (Otherwise you need to figure out what temp to cook to and adjust for altitude. I don’t know the formula anymore, this way seems to work the best for me)
Pour a spoonful of the candy into a cup of COLD water, lift it out and if it keeps a firm ball in your hand it is ready.  This is how the finished candy will be.  You can eat the ones that aren’t ready yet or I’m sure one of the kids will wait for the taste, mine always do.
IMG_7388 IMG_7389


Remove from heat and add 1 teas vanilla. I do the capful way of measuring. One capful is close to 1 teas.
IMG_7390
Stir in vanilla remembering again not to touch the sides of the pan.
IMG_7391
Pour into the prepared 9X13 pan. DO NOT scrape the caramel into the pan, let if flow out.
IMG_7393
Then I scrape all the leftovers in the pan onto a ‘coolwhip’ lid.
IMG_7396
Set aside to cool. The scraped always cools first so you can have a taste fairly soon.
IMG_7397
After it has cooled cut into rectangles. 1” by 2” or the size you like.
IMG_7398
Wrap in caramel wraps. You can use wax paper but I like the caramel wraps so much better. They come precut 5” X 5” squares. And the caramel never sticks to them.
IMG_7400
Enjoy! I hope they become a favorite of yours to.
IMG_7401
Name

5 comments:

  1. Yum! These look great! I found your site through Sew Much Ado. Can't wait to see what else comes out of your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That looks SO good!
    You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie party!
    Alliemakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the measurement of butter. Is it in sticks? I can only find butter sold in sticks in our local market. They look amazing and would love to try them. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sticks and cubes are interchangeable (I emailed you too), so just use 2 3/4 sticks of butter!

    ReplyDelete