Thursday, October 21, 2010

Funky Candles

Today's tutorial only ALMOST actually qualifies.  It's really easy, but hey, we all need easy once in a while, right?



This all began when I left some candles in the garage.  No big deal, except I live in Phoenix.  By the time I realized it, it was too late and I had some misshapen melted candles.   Well now, it doesn't matter, cause I'll just cover it up (don't worry, you can use new candles too, we won't tell).

Supplies:
Candles
Hot Glue
Furry Yarn

Most of my furniture will at one point be black, so I opted to go with a contrasting color and chose orange yarn, I wanted to make sure it stood out, choose whichever suits your decor.

First, cut a piece of yarn long enough to wrap around your candle a few times.  I have shorter candles, so I have 3-4 wraps on each one, then,  put a dab of hot glue on the candle.  This will probably melt it slightly, so find something to hold the yarn in place for just a minute.  Place the edge of your yarn onto the hot glue and hold while things cool and your candle resolidifies.


After it's solid, wrap the yarn around your candle keeping it fairly close together, until it's as thick as you want, add another dab of glue and glue down the end.  Trim off the remaining yarn.


My yarn was very fuzzy, so I gave it a little haircut to rain in the craziness a little.


Lastly, add a couple spiders (any you happen to have on hand), just for a little extra spookiness, and ENJOY!  Now go eat some chocolate to reward yourself for all your hard work, you deserve it.


*Disclaimer:  These candles are for decoration only, I recommend that you DO NOT burn them, as well, it could cause problems.


11 comments:

  1. Love them, Love them, Love them. Can't wait to make some for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun! I really like them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is cute. I like it. I love cheap homemade crafts like this. 6 sisters, wow! What a blessing. I would love for you to join my linky party and my give away this month.

    http://strictly-homemade.blogspot.com/2010/10/boys-halloween-shirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Everyone! Maridith and Sara, we'll definitely check you out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really beautiful with the orange candlesticks. I'm tempted to take on just one more project now. Although, without the spider, these would be beautiful FALL decorations so I could get another whole month of use out of them. I love this project!

    Thanks for linking up.

    ~ Sandra
    sawdustandpaperscraps.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. stopping by from boost my blog friday. i love the orange candle sticks. Check out my blog @ www.missysalsa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are super cute! And bonus for being easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from boost my blog friday. Very cute candles! Come by and check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a creative solution! I love that fringed yarn!! Thanks for linking up to Theme Party Thursday.
    xo
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! What a fabulous idea! I would have melted them and tried to mix and ended up with a craft fail... Excellent job!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie.
    I can't wait to see what you have next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to let you know that I featured this on FTF this week! Come stop by and take a featured button if you would like! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete