Saturday, October 23, 2010

Spider Magnets

Create a spooky entrance to your home this Halloween. This is a fast and easy way to add a little excitement to your front door or any metal surface.
DSCF1413



*EDIT:  We recommend simply painting the stryofoam with acrylic tole paint.  We have no idea what kind of magical spray paint Trudi used, but even the cheap $1 stuff from Walmart slowly ate the stryofoam balls.

What you need for this project
1 1/2 inch Styrofoam balls
Black pipe cleaner
Black spray paint
wiggle eyes
magnets
wooden sticks
Hot glue gunDSCF1381
You first take the the wooden sticks and put them about a fourth of the way through the ballsDSCF1383
Then take the balls and stick them outside in the ground.DSCF1387
Spray the balls with the spray paint making sure that you cover the entire ball so there is no white let.DSCF1390
While waiting for the paint to dry cut all of the pipe cleaners into fourths.DSCF1392
then when the balls are dry take the pipe cleaner and bend them in the middle so that they look like a v. Then stick them into the side of the ball using a hot glue gun to make sure they stay in place.DSCF1397
Then take the wiggle eyes and glue them to the front of the spider between the legs. Then place the magnet on the bottom will the glue gun. DSCF1410

After you will have fun little spider to put on any metal surface to bring a little Halloween to your home.DSCF1411

14 comments:

  1. Okay, I seriously love these! One more craft on the list to do with Grandma next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog just found it through links! If you would ever like new recipes or want share you own...please become a follower and email us.. we love to feature people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a very cute idea!! i am going to have to do this with the kiddos. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! My kids would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are very cute! I wish I had a metal entry door. I guess we'll have to stick with the fridge. Thank for sharing.

    Brittany
    http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried making these and the paint "eat" my Styrofoam balls, the balls are no longer round. What did I do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cara, we've had the fancier spray paints eat through stryofoam too (the ones for plastic or metal), as soon as Trudi is off of work, I'll have her come let you know exactly what kind worked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nevermind, it's in the picture. I think you just want to find the cheapest basic ones you can get. I'm going to make some tomorrow with the $1 spray paint from Home Depot, and I'll report back. The other option would be to just use acrylic tole paint and simply paint them with a paintbrush.

    -Kimie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I LOVE this idea. :) I want these outside for tomorrows trick or treaters. Wonder how quick I can get it done.

    I'm a new follower. Hope you will come by. :) Petra

    http://donuts2crumpets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent job! How crafty!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids would love these. Of course they would also love chasing me around scaring me with them! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

    ReplyDelete